Resolution Steps for Health and Safety Concerns (up-dated)

Dear Sisters and Brothers:

The correct protocol to follow, if you believe there is a Health & Safety breach or concern at your workplace is as follows:

  1.  First, call your Area Supervisor. The Supervisor has the responsibility to resolve these issues.  Call the Area Supervisor via his/her cellphone.  If you get no response or no satisfactory resolution, then…
  2. Call Elle How, CUPE Local 4153 Health & Safety Chairperson (905-518-6937), and based on the nature of the problem, she will assign one of our Certified Reps to contact you and then the Area Supervisor.
  3. Our Certified Reps are:  Ken Boyle , Marilyn MacAloney and Mike Oddi. In the event that the Certified Rep and the Area Supervisor cannot agree, they will jointly inform you.  The Certified Rep will then meet with you to discuss and advise about further steps.
  4. If you are not satisfied with the outcome, remember that under the Occupational Health & Safety Act, you do have the right to refuse unsafe work.  In such a case, a Ministry of Labour Inspector will be called in to make sure the matter is evaluated and corrected.  If you do a work refusal, the employer has the right to reassign you to other duties or another location until the situation is resolved.
  5.  For all other Health & Safety information or inquiries, please feel free to call one of the other Health & Safety Committee members:  Cathy Bill, Brent Boyle, Ryan Cameron, Tim Currier, Joe D’Ambrosio or Carmine Filice..

Elle How

Chair, Health & Safety,