CUPE Education Workers Reach Tentative Deal With Ontario Government, End Work-To-Rule

As reported in the Global News on November 1, 2015:

A tentative deal has been reached between the Ontario government and Canadian Union of Public Employees education workers, effectively ending their work-to-rule action in school across the province.

The union, which represents 55,000 education workers in schools across the province, said the deal had been reached with the Crown and the Council of Trustee Associations in central talks Monday.  CUPE members have been without a contract since August 31, 2014 but the union said the tentative agreement covers education workers in all four school board systems, including English public and Catholic and French public and Catholic.

Details of the settlement will not be released until members have reviewed and voted on the deal.

Education Minister Liz Sandals said in a statement that she was “pleased” a deal had been reached, adding that the workers played an integral role in keeping schools safe and clean.

“CUPE has agreed to stop job action pending ratification of the agreement.  The agreement recognizes the important work that education support workers do every day in our schools”, she said in a statement. “This is the first agreement reached with education workers under The School Boards Collective Bargaining Act.  I would like to congratulate all parties involved in reaching this historic agreement”.

Sandals said “determination and hard-work prevailed” and that the agreement is consistent with the government’s net-zero bargaining framework, which means any salary increases are counterbalanced through the collective agreement.

She added that she could not comment on specific terms at this time since the agreement is still subject to ratification.