WORK TO RULE INSTRUCTIONS
Effective September 29, 2015
CUPE LOCAL 4153
Caretakers and Maintenance Employees of the H.W.D.S.B.
***THIS WORK TO RULE IS NOT OPTIONAL! IT IS A LEGAL STRIKE ACTION. HOW EFFECTIVE WORK TO RULE IS, IS UP TO YOU! WORK TO RULE IS DESIGNED TO HOPEFULLY AVOID A FULL SCALE WALK OUT.
****PLEASE CHECK OUR WEBSITE OFTEN! BARGAINING INFORMATION WILL BE UPDATED FAST AND FURIOUSLY!
(October 2nd revisions are in bold)
- Do not move furniture and supplies for reassigned classrooms.
- Do not cut grass, trim trees or clean up fall leaves. Continue to clean grounds but do not empty outside garbage cans.
- Do not carry or transport photocopy paper or deliver teaching supplies to classrooms.
- No change to priority cleaning in the event of an absence. Work to Rule still applies to halls, vice principal, and principal offices, and entrances in the area.
- Do not set up or tear down for staff or community functions, including the upcoming Federal Election. We will open doors and secure building at the end. We WILL NOT set up or tear down!
- When scheduled classes or school events are taking place in the evenings or on weekends (i.e. night school, parent/teacher night), doors will be open as per normal operations.
- Do not participate in Health and Safety inspections.
- Keep your Board issued cell phone turned on as per normal operations and respond to all calls.
- Provide no irrigation system maintenance (sprinkler systems), including seasonal shut down.
- In schools with well water: if the afternoon ticketed person is absent, do not wait. Notify area supervisor and leave when shift is over.
- Do not hang/repair drywall or bulletin boards.
- Teachers are not to be in the building past 6:00 pm unless supervised by the Principal. If teachers are present without supervision – Notify your area supervisor and request they be removed. Exeption: where school teams or school function groups return to the school following a game, trip, event or other function, we will provide entry to the building to students and their teachers for the purpose of collecting their belongings for the evening.
- Wear black on Friday’s, and orange on Wednesday’s.
- Wear a Work to Rule wristband and display Work to Rule materials.
- Maintenance: Complete one (1) work order at a time. When finished with one return to the office and get another one (1).
- No trips for supplies (i.e. Canadian Tire, Gasoline, etc.). Contact your Area Supervisor for these supplies.
- Do not SWEEP hallways and entrance ways. Continue to empty hallway garbage and other assigned duties in hallways and entrances. DO NOT clean, or sweep Principal or Vice Principal offices (including garbage). At the Ed Centre: SWEEP NO hallways, NO entrances, NO area supervisor office and NO maintenance area. No cleaning of Manager, Superintendent and Director offices (and no garbage pick up).
- Do not change/replace lights or ballasts (unless it is a fire or Health & Safety Hazard).
- Disinfect desks only. No more scrapping paint or glue, etc.
- Do not clean chalkboards or ledges, or empty pencil sharpeners.
- Refuse to use chemicals we have not been trained on. Do not use any new chemicals.
- Anyone who works 2-10 pm will set the alarm panel at exactly 10 pm and leave! Use a cell phone to ensure it is 10 pm exactly when the alarm is set.
- Rentals: Open doors for rentals exactly 15 minutes prior to the start time and doors will be locked exactly 15 minutes after the start time. Inform person responsible for the rental that they are now responsible for their own participants.
- For those who have daycares: Daycares pay for two (2) hours of scheduled cleaning. Garbage WILL BE emptied. If cleaning cannot be completed within this two hour period it will remain unfinished. We will provide access to parents that are delayed in retrieving their children and will not restrict their access to the facility.
- Follow the terms and conditions of your Collective Agreement.
- Work only designated hours of work. Do not come in early and do not stay late! Report to work one (1) minute prior to your shift, and work no more than one (1) minute past the end of your shift.
- Take your coffee breaks and lunch together, at the same time. Plan together, at the beginning of shifts, what time will work best for all members to take each coffee break, as well as a lunch break.
- No volunteering ~ or other non-paid activities. i.e. After school extracurricular activities, Creative Gardening, etc.
- Overtime is to be paid in the form of money ~ No lieu time.
- Work at a safe pace.
- Perform only one (1) task at a time.
- Do not perform the work of any other union.
- Do not call the absent replacement supervisor regarding replacement coverage.
- Under the Health & Safety Act YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO KNOW! Contact your supervisor immediately with ANY QUESTION OR CONCERN regarding a Health & Safety Issue.
- Call the Ministry of Labour Hotline for all Health & Safety infractions.
- Check emails every morning.
- Check ebase for rentals every day at 1pm.
- No exterior door to the school will be unlocked until water flushing is complete. In accordance with Safe Drinking Water Act 2002, Reg. 243/07 – No one under the age of 18 is allowed in the building prior to the completion of the water flush.
- No in-school Health & Safety walks through, in-school training/inspections or Central Health & Safety Committee inspections.
- No attendance at the Head Caretaker Meetings with Principals or Supervisors.
- No unlocking doors for teaching staff who have forgotten keys at home or supply teachers. Politely explain and redirect them to the school office for assistance.
- Ask supervisors and/or principals – or – other managers/supervisors for detailed work request in writing.
- Check the job request book once per shift ~ Prioritize and perform only one job per shift.
- At the end of your shift, if you do not have a green light on your alarm panel, do one (1) check of the building. If you cannot find the problem, call security and inform them you cannot arm the system AND GO HOME!